Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Marin Cecilia McAuliffe

Marin Cecilia McAuliffe made her debut at 5:53 am on Thursday, July 21. She weighed 7 lbs., 5 oz (not the giant baby we were all expecting) and was 19 3/4 inches long. As expected, she looks just like her daddy. She also has a full head of dark hair... that we're hoping turns curly soon, as Mommy doesn't know how to care for straight hair.



How did we pick her name? One of my favorite Broadway stars is Marin Mazzie, so that's where I heard the name first. Shaun & I both liked it because it's different but still easy to spell. There's a certain sophistication to it that I really like. My brother who died in 1989 was named Mark, so the baby is named in tribute to her uncle.  Marin means "of the sea" and the McAuliffe family crest features mermaids, so there's a family link there. Shaun proposed to me on the ocean in Rockport, MA so we also have a "sea" theme to our relationship. Plus, Marin Mazzie was Tony-nominated for her role in Ragtime, and I spent most of this pregnancy rehearsing for that show so Marin was always on my mind. (Also, Shaun spent some of his favorite times in Marin County, CA... but the baby's name rhymes with Karen, so a different pronunciation from the county.)

We selected Cecilia for her middle name because Cecilia was my paternal grandmother's middle name, and also the name of my mother's aunt who helped raise her, so it is a family name on both sides for me. St. Cecilia's is the parish we attend (and we were married by the priest from St. Cecilia's, even though we couldn't be married AT St. Cecilia's due to construction), and St. Cecilia happens to be the patron saint of music, which is something very important to both Shaun and I.

So that's how we came up with her name....  more to come on her birth story!

No comments:

Post a Comment