Friday, August 19, 2011

10 Things I Have Learned in the Last 4 Weeks

1. I had no idea that when the baby is really really really upset, my frustration would be directed not at the baby, but at myself for not being able to soothe her.

2. The feeling of achievement that results from actually soothing the baby is better than any promotion or A+ I have ever received.

3. A burp, fart or other evidence of gas being released is a cause for celebration. (Released by the baby, not by me.)

4. I can do a lot of things one-handed.

5. It is possible for time to pass both incredibly quickly (as in "How is it already 11:30 am and I still haven't managed to shower, finish the dishes or eat breakfast") and incredibly slowly (as in, "Shaun is supposed to be home at 4:30 and it's 4:35. Where is he?").

6. As much as I pride myself on my independence, having Shaun home or people around to help is absolutely necessary. I don't know how single parents do it.

7. It is in fact possible to build your entire day around a trip to the post office. And having that trip to the post office on the to-do list for tomorrow can help get you through today.

8. It is perfectly OK to wear the same outfit over and over and over again, particularly when the outfit both fits and is conducive to making food available for the baby. (This is coming from the person who tracked her outfits when she started public school to ensure no outfit was ever exactly repeated.) Thank goodness for having a washer and dryer.

9. It is possible to hear the cries of a newborn in the next room while in the shower.

10. Spending all day with a 4-week-old can bring an awful lot of joy. It's more fun than I thought it would be.

No comments:

Post a Comment