Saturday, December 31, 2011

To Marin at the start of a New Year

Dear Marin,

The last few years have been pretty life-changing for me. In 2008 I moved to Massachusetts. In 2009 I became a godmother, a fiancee and an aunt for the first time. In 2010 I became a wife... but 2011 is the most monumental because, thanks to you, I became a Mom.

I have never been really that into babies. I mean, I appreciate their cuteness, but the appeal of a kid that can talk and interact always held more interest for me. I knew that I was good with kids, but I didn't think I'd be all that interested in having a baby. I thought of it as a period I'd "get through" until the real child-rearing begins. I also had heard horror stories from so many people about how hard it is to have a baby: the lack of sleep, the inability to get them to stop crying... you can understand how the idea of it is not that appealing.

But boy did that change when you came into my life. So tiny and so dependent on me, but also so full of curiosity and personality, almost from the get-go. You were so alert even from day one, and so responsive to us. Of course there were times that were difficult to handle, but about 90% of the time you have been an incredibly easy baby. So easygoing, so pleasant. Especially within the last couple of months, you have developed this personality that just lights up a room. You are full of smiles, you know how to turn on the charm, and you are just incredibly sweet. There is nothing I love more than when  you "sing" along with music in church or in the car. You are a built-in audience who puts on a huge smile and laughs when I perform songs and crazy dances for you. Complete strangers compliment me on how cute and sweet you are. I have completely fallen in love with you and it seems that everyone else has too.

You have also made me appreciate your dad in new ways. I love to see how excited he is to see you, and how happy you make him. He has been waiting a long time to become a dad, and I'm so glad that he has such an awesome baby. We are both astounded every day by how much you are learning and how much you already communicate with us.

We couldn't have gotten through this year without the love and generosity of a whole lot of people. Your Mimi and Poppy have come to visit so many times, and have taken such good care of us in getting ready for you and especially upon your arrival. Your Aunt Lori, Uncle Clif and cousin Eden have flown here twice from Nashville to see you, and have provided us with so much hand-me-down baby gear that we barely needed anything. Ditto Auntie Judith, Aunt Jen, Uncle Scott & cousins Peyton & Matthew, Daddy's cousin Jessie - it's been amazing. I don't know what I would have done without the listening ears of all of the above, as well as Aunt Niki, Auntie Parcheesy, Aunt Bessie, Aunt Kate and "Gunkle" Jeff. We have had great visits with Aunt Elizabeth & Uncle Denny, and Uncle Ron and family and Uncle Gene and family. You have spent good quality time with your Grandpa and Nana, too, and the rest of the family on Nana's side. This year has reminded me what good people I have surrounded myself with, and how glad I am that these amazing people are among the village that will help us raise you to be the bright, funny and inquisitive little girl that we already see glimmers of.

You have already brought so much joy to our lives, I can only imagine what the next year is going to be like. I can't wait to bring you to Disney World for the first time.  I can't wait till those words that I see brewing in that little head of yours come out and you start expressing yourself in new ways. I can't wait to see more smiles, hear more laughter, and to fall in love with a toddler. I already love a baby more than I ever thought I could.

Happy New Year, Marin!

Love,

Mommy

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year, Marin! I can't wait to see you again soon.

    ReplyDelete